page updated
16 January 2017

These pages are inspired by the Friends of Malvern Railways, a special interest group of Malvern Civic Society.

The various locations can be viewed on a current OS Map. The map centres on Great Malvern. Feel free to scroll around and change the scale.

Early Days

Date Event Source
By 1825 Three coaches daily between Malvern and Cheltenham. Hembry.
By 1841 Three coaches daily between Malvern and Hereford.
Seven coaches daily between Malvern and Worcester, five of which called at Spetchley station on the Birmingham & Gloucester Railway.
Hembry.
8th July 1844 Cheltenham & Great Western Union Railway opened to Gloucester with “Great Western” coach connections to Unicorn Inn at Malvern. Gale (for date),
Smith2.
8th May 1845 Royal assent given to Railway Clauses Consolidation Act 1845 requiring all future railway acts to include, by reference to this Act, the provisions of this Act.
View Act
Act of Parliament.
1stNovember 1845 Notice of application by the Birmingham & Bristol Railway to construct branches to Malvern.
View Notice
Check for a book of reference in Worcester.
The notice was repeated in the issue of 22nd November and again in the issue of 28th November and yet again in the issue of 29th November.
London Gazette, 15th November, pages 4310-4311.
5thNovember 1845 Notice of application by the Gloucester & Hereford Canal & Worcester Railway in connection with the Welch Midland to construct various railways.
View Notice
Check for a book of reference in Worcester.
The notice was repeated in the issue of 20th November and again in the issue of 24th November.
London Gazette, 15th November, pages 4533-4535.
5thNovember 1845 Notice of application by the Welch Midland Railway to construct various railways.
View Notice
Check for a book of reference in Worcester.
London Gazette, 24th November, pages 6055-6062.
6th November 1845 Notice of application to construct the Worcester and South Wales Junction Railway.
View Notice
Check for a book of reference in Worcester.
The notice was repeated in the issue of 19th November and again in the issue of 26th November.
London Gazette, 13th November, pages 3978-3979.
November 1845 Notice of application to construct the Worcester, Hereford, Ross and Gloucester Railway.
View Notice
Check for a book of reference in Worcester.
The notice was repeated in the issue of 20th November and again in the issue of 26th November.
London Gazette, 13th November, pages 4008-4010.
November 1845 Notice of application to construct various railways.
View Notice
Check for a book of reference in Worcester.
The notice was repeated in the issue of 21st November and again in the issue of 28th November.
London Gazette, 15th November, pages 4738-4740.
1845 Proposed railway from Gloucester to Malvern (broad gauge).
Smith quotes Worcester Record Office f161/132 as his source.
Plan abandoned 1847.
Smith2.
6th November 1846 Notice by Midland Railway of an application to construct the Worcester, Hereford, Malvern and Cheltenham Lines.
View Notice
Check for a book of reference in Worcester.
The notice was repeated in the issue of 18th November and again in the issue of 25th November.
London Gazette, 14th November, pages 4282-4284.
1846 Midland Railway proposed lines from Worcester to Lower Howsell, thence tunnel to Netherley in Mathon, Coddington and on to Hereford; with branch from Lower Howsell to Cheltenham.
Plan abandoned 1847.
Smith2.
12th November 1851 Notice of application to incorporate and construct the Worcester and Hereford Junction Railway.
View Notice
Check for a book of reference in Worcester.
London Gazette, 28th November, pages 3301-3303.
1851 London & North Western Railway proposed a link from Worcester via Newland, Lower Howsell, Upper Howsell (branch to Link Top), Halfkey, Storridge, Cradley, Bosbury (branch to Ledbury) and on to Hereford.
Rejected by House of Lords in 1852.
Smith2.
1st November 1852 Notice of application to incorporate and construct the Worcester and Hereford Junction Railway. Would have passed to the north of the Malvern Hills with a branch from Bosbury to Ledbury.
View Notice
Note: No Act resulted from this.
London Gazette, 26th November, pages 3420-3422.
3rd November 1852 Notice of application to incorporate and construct the Worcester and Hereford Railway. To start from Worcester Shrub Hill and go via Diglis.
View Notice
Note: No Act resulted from this.
London Gazette, 26th November, pages 3409-3411.
3rd November 1852 Notice of application to incorporate and construct the Worcester and Hereford Railway.
View Notice
Note: This was the Bill that Parliament amended and approved in 1853.
London Gazette, 26th November, pages 3422-3424.
1853 Proposal for Worcester & Hereford Railway was to have had financial support from LNWR but House of Lords removed this provision. Boynton,
Wood.

Worcester & Hereford Railway

Date Event Source
5th June 1853 Deed of Covenant with Lady Foley that all passenger trains, except special trains or express trains are to stop at Stoke Edith station, and express trains are to be stopped on notice being given by Lady Foley, her appointees, heirs and assigns or other persons authorised by "her, him or them" Commons Hansard 26th February 1963.
15th August 1853 Royal assent given to Worcester and Hereford Railway Act 1853 Authorising construction of a railway from Worcester to Hereford having two junctions with the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway (Shrub Hill Junction and Tunnel Junction) to form the eastern end and a single junction at Shelwick with the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway at the western end.
Were running powers for LNWR or MR included in this Act?
Gale.
1st December 1853 Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway opened throughout between Oxford & Worcester and the “Hereford Mail” and other coaches met every train to provide connections to Malvern. Smith2
Gale (for date).
1854 Construction of Worcester and Hereford Railway commenced.
Note: doesn't say where these first works were.
Simpson.
February 1854 Press reports that Ballard had sunk shafts to depth of 24 yards (Colwall side) and 28 yards (Malvern side) of Colwall Tunnel.
Note: Smith2 says they struck springs which drained the Wyche reservoir.
Wood.
June 1854 Construction of Colwall Tunnel halted. Wood.
1st November 1854 Notice of application by the Worcester and Hereford Railway to allow any or all of the London & North Western Railway, Midland Railway, Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway, Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford Railway to subscribe to the Worcester & Hereford Railway; working arrangements with those companies; use of railways and stations of the Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford Railway at Hereford; extension of time to complete the Worcester & Hereford Railway.
View Notice
Note: Wood states rejected by Parliament.
London Gazette, 28th November, page 3827.
1854 Hereford Barrs Court to Barton opened 1854 having been built by Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford as agents for Worcester and Hereford Railway who then lacked funds to pay for it. Ceded to NA&H in exchange for running rights when Worcester and Hereford opened. Boynton.
1855 Proposal to only build the Worcester to Malvern section. Wood.
6th November 1855 Notice of application to incorporate and construct the Malvern Railway.
View Notice
Deposited plans?
London Gazette, 27th November, pages 4472-4473.
10th November 1855 Two notices of applications by the Worcester and Hereford Railway to extend the period allowed for compulsory purchases and completion of the railway, also to alter the capital and share arrangements.
The second notice additionally included provision to abandon construction of the section of line south of the present day Woodshears Road through to Shelwick Junction.
View Notice
London Gazette, 27th November, pages 4455-4456.
1856 Construction of remainder of line commenced. Wood.
1856 Construction of Colwall Tunnel commenced.
Note: G W Magazine quotes 7 years to build which puts start in 1854.
Simpson.
December 1856 Construction of Colwall Tunnel resumed. Wood.
1856 Captain Prentice's patent steam tunnelling machine tried in Colwall Tunnel, only succeeded in filling the bore with smoke.
Note: Wood says this was in 1857, contact signed October 1857 and first part of machine delivered June 1858. Machine not operative until February 1859.
Smith1
Simpson.
1856 Contractor's locomotive Gipsy Lass put to work on the Worcester and Hereford construction works. IRS
  Herefordshire House Inn, Wyche Cutting, built to serve needs of navvies building the tunnel and approach cuttings.
(Note, renamed Wyche Inn in latter part of 20th century).
Simpson.
12th November 1857 Notice of application by the Worcester and Hereford Railway to extend the period allowed for compulsory purchases and completion of the railway, also to alter the capital and share arrangements and allow the Midland, Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford and Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railways to subscribe.
View Notice
London Gazette, 27th November, pages 4162-4163.
1858 Construction of Worcester to Malvern section of line commenced. Hembry.
2nd August 1858 Royal assent given to Worcester and Hereford Railway Act 1858 authorising an extension of time and other changes.
View Act
Act of Parliament.
12th November 1858 Notice of application by the Worcester and Hereford Railway to construct the Butts Branch in Worcester, also additional sidings at Hereford.
View Notice
London Gazette, 26th November, page 5117.
17th March 1859 Captain Prentice's contract terminated by railway company. Wood.
21st July 1859 Royal assent given to Worcester and Hereford Railway Act 1859 authorising construction of the Butts Branch in Worcester.
View Act
Act of Parliament.
25th July 1859 Henwick to Malvern Link opened as single line worked on the 'one engine in steam' system.
Malvern Link station opened (temporary buildings).
Initial service 9 trains each way per day.
Check Inspection Report.
Note: Boynton refers to just one locomotive being delivered which would have allowed 'one engine in steam' working as an alternative to train staff and ticket.
Note: Hembry states Worcester to Henwick not opened at this time as BoT Inspector considered the bridge over the River Severn unsafe.
Gale.
Quick.
Smith2.
29th October 1859 Worcester Bridge inspected by Colonel Yolland. Permission to open the line refused as the bridge was not complete.
View Inspection Report.
BoT (TNA MT6/20/28).
10th November 1859 Notice of application by the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton, Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford and Worcester and Hereford Railways to amalgamate and to make agreements with the Midland Railway.
View Notice
London Gazette, 22nd November, pages 4237-4238.
22nd November 1859 Worcester Bridge inspected by Colonel Yolland. Permission to open the line refused as he considered that the bridge was too weak in some respects.
View Inspection Report.
BoT (TNA MT6/20/34).
14th December 1859 Recorded by Colonel Yolland that the required remedial work to Worcester Bridge had yet to be carried out. Permission to open the line again refused.
View Report.
BoT (TNA MT6/20/40).
1859 Omnibus service between Great Malvern Town and Malvern Link station advertised in Malvern Advertiser. Dray.
by January 1860 Train service between Henwick and Malvern Link: six trains each way weekdays and four on Sundays. Hembry.
3rd March 1860 John Archer of Royal Foley Arms announces that an omnibus service from the hotel would meet every train at Malvern Link. Hembry.
March 1860 Improvement Commissioners petition railway to carry coal more cheaply from Worcester to Malvern Link. Hembry.
1860 Third shaft sunk for Colwall Tunnel works. Wood.
16th May 1860 Worcester Shrub Hill to Henwick opened. Hembry.
23rd May 1860 Letter from Worcester & Hereford Railway acknowledging receipt of letter of 16th May regarding Board of Trade inspection of section from the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Junction to Henwick by Colonel Yolland on 15th May.
View Letter.
BoT (TNA MT6/21/18).
24th May 1860 Malvern Link to Malvern Wells inspected by Colonel Yolland. Single line with 4 over and 7 under bridges. Second line of rails in course of being laid.
Permission given to open the line, provided that no more than one engine in steam (or two coupled together) is permitted between Malvern Link and Malvern Wells stations at the same time. Undertaking from OW&W in this respect.
View Inspection Report.
Note 1: The undertaking from the OW&W clearly relates to the amalgamation bill having passed through parliament and was just awaiting royal assent.
Note 2: The number of under bridges matches later records if one omits Woodshears Road - this no road or footpath shown at this location on the deposited plans. Note 3: There are currently 6 over bridges on this section. Presumably Moorland Road and Avenue Road not yet built.
BoT (TNA MT6/21/19).
25th May 1860 Malvern Link to Malvern Wells opened.
Great Malvern station opened.
Malvern Wells station (GW) opened.
Temporary wooden station buildings at Great Malvern.
Gale.
Quick.
Quick.
Simpson.
26th May 1860 Letter from Worcester & Hereford Railway acknowledging receipt of letter of 25th May regarding Board of Trade inspection of Malvern Link to Malvern Wells section by Colonel Yolland. Approval given to open as single line, noting that laying of second line of rails under way but not complete, "provided that not more than one engine in steam, or two coupled togather and forming part of the same train, be permitted to be on the portion of line in question at one and the same time."e;
View Letter.
BoT (TNA MT6/21/23).
14th June 1860 Royal assent given to West Midland Railway Act 1860 authorising amalgamation of the Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford Railway and the Worcester & Hereford Railway companies with the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway under the name of the West Midland Railway.
The act included a requirement for the new company to convey traffic originating on the Midland Railway at the same rates as applied to its own traffic; with the proviso that in default by the West Midland company the Midland Railway would be able to run its own trains from Worcester to Hereford and Newport.
Running powers for the West Midland company over the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway (and vice versa) were granted.View Act
Act of Parliament.
Mid June 1860 Walter Pratt announced commencement of a new four-horse coach service between Malvern and Worcester. Hembry.
May-July 1860 Various excursions by railway to Malvern. Hembry pp190-191.
Initial station buildings seem to have been to a prefabricated wooden design favoured by Stephen Ballard.
A picture of the first station at Great Malvern appears in “The Day The Trains Came” by Helen Simpson, plate 13. The contractor's locomotive Gypsy Lass hides much of the station building. The picture is attributed to Hereford County Record Office. Also appears in Dray.
A better picture, sans loco, appears in Dray, attributed to Worcester Country Record Office.
A clear picture of the building at Withington appears in “Herefordshire Railways” by W H Smith, Sutton's Photographic History of Railways, published 1998 (page 31). Source of picture attributed to Ballard Collection, Hereford County Record Office.
A picture of Colwall Tunnel works at west end also appears in the book (page 42) attributed to Hereford County Record Office.

West Midland Railway

Date Event Source
10th November 1859 Notice of application by the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton, Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford and Worcester and Hereford Railways to amalgamate and to make agreements with the Midland Railway.
View Notice
London Gazette, 22nd November, pages 4237-4238.
14th June 1860 Royal assent given to West Midland Railway Act 1860 authorising amalgamation of the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway with the Worcester & Hereford Railway and the Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford Railway as the West Midland Railway. Gale.
1st July 1860 West Midland Railway Act 1860 implemented. Gale.
7th July 1860 John Archer's omnibus service withdrawn but continued to provde flys and carriages to order. Hembry.
19th July 1860 Meeting of West Midland Railway Board of Directors - Minute 13 - Resolved that tender for £3,970 from Messrs McCann & Co be accepted for construction of station buildings at Malvern Link subject to them signing the schedule of prices to the satisfaction of the Engineer, Mr Liddell. TNA
Rail 734/1.
19th July 1860 Meeting of West Midland Railway Board of Directors - Minute 14 - Plans for Great Malvern station to be repired (sic) to Chairman, Deputy Chairman, Dr Gully and Mr Sherriff. TNA
Rail 734/1.
19th July 1860 Board of Trade inspection of South Fork section at Worcester by Colonel Yolland.
View Report.
BoT (TNA MT6/21/46).
21st July 1860 The two faces of the Colwall Tunnel works finally broke though (met in middle of tunnel).
(Report in Berrow's Journal, 28th July 1860).
Boynton.
23rd July 1860 Shrub Hill Station Junction to Rainbow Hill Junction (South Fork) section at Worcester opened, double line. Comparison between the deposited plans and the Ordnance Survey of 1883-1884 indicates that Rainbow Hill Junction was further south than intended although within the authorised limits of deviation. Hence the comment about the curve being tight - as it still is.
View Report.
BoT (TNA MT6/21/46).
6th October 1860 Board of Trade inspection of Malvern Link to Malvern Wells section by Colonel Yolland. Approval given to open second line of rails.
View Report.
BoT (TNA MT6/22/41).
19th January 1861 Malvern Wells station (GW) closed due to fire damage.
Reported in Malvern Advertiser 26th January.
Quick.
Dray.
21st March 1861 West Midland Railway Board referred matter of an alteration to a road at Malvern to the Chairman and Deputy Chairman. TNA
Rail 734/1.
17th April 1861 Letter from Mr Liddell to West Midland Railway Board drawing attention to problems in Malvern tunnel and asking for funding to carry out remedial measures. Board agreed to arch the tunnel with bricks throughout. [Minute 406, 18th April.] TNA
Rail 734/1.
29th April 1861 West Midland Railway Board ratified a Heads of Agreement for the leasing of the company to the Great Western Railway for a period of 999 years. Included a requirement for the narrow* gauge to be extended from Rading to Paddington before the end of July so that through trains could be run. [Minute 411].
Note: * today referred to as standard gauge.
TNA
Rail 734/1.
16th May 1861 West Midland Railway Board considered plans for the Malvern station produced by Mr Elmsley. Resolved that the plans be revised so that the cost shall not exceed £5,000 and that Mr Elmsley confer with Mr Sherriff thereon. [Minute 415]. TNA
Rail 734/1.
1st July 1861 Great Western Railway commence leasing the West Midland Railway. 1863 Act of Parliament.
18th July 1861 West Midland Railway Board agreed to subscribe £100 for the Royal Agricultural Society meeting to be held at Worcester or Hereford in 1863 with a further £50 if the ploughing match to be held at Malvern or elsewhere goes ahead. TNA
Rail 734/1.
21st July 1861 Malvern Advertiser reported need to re-brick about 100 yards of Colwall Tunnel.
Note: Malvern Gazette for 24/7/2009 claims that a rockfall occurred 'a year after opening' in 1860 and closed the tunnel for 'several days'.
Dray
Wood.
8th August 1861 West Midland Railway Board agreed to accept the tender from the Malvern Hotel Group to take the refreshment rooms at Hereford station from the opening of the line throughout. TNA
Rail 734/1.
8th August 1861 West Midland Railway Board resolved that the tender to erect the bridge at Malvern for £1,695 from Mr Perkins be accepted on condition that he will agree to finish the work in two months from the date of acceptance with a penalty of £50 per week for every week beyond the term of two months; the works to be subject to the inspection by the Engineer of the Company.
Avenue Road bridge.
TNA
Rail 734/1.
8th August 1861 West Midland Railway Board agreed to sell 1 acre of ground at Howsell to Mr Holland for £200 for the erection of Malvern Link Gas Works and that the gas company be allowed to lay down their pipes along the banks of the railway on payment of a nominal sum of £1 per annum, the position of the pipes to be from time to time altered as the Company may direct.
Note: The gas works is shown on the Ordnance Survey of 1884 but was not rail connected until 1901. MIAC do not quote a date of opening here.
TNA
Rail 734/1.
8th August 1861 West Midland Railway Board considered an estimate of costs for refreshment rooms at Malvern Link and Worcester Foregate Street. Matter referred to Mr Sherriff. TNA
Rail 734/1.
15th August 1861 West Midland Railway Board resolved that the tender to erect the bridge at Malvern for £1,695 from Mr Perkins be accepted on condition that he will agree to finish the work in three months from the date of acceptance with a penalty of £50 per week for every week beyond the term of two months; the works to be subject to the inspection by the Engineer of the Company.
Note: The minute says that the work is to be finished within three months and that the penalty applies after two months! Someone wasn't paying attention!
TNA
Rail 734/1.
1861 Two hotels under construction by a limited liability company composed of chiefly of persons connected with the railway. One at Malvern Link and the other at Great Malvern station. Lamb.
1861 Stone for the Worcester & Hereford Railway being quarried in a stone quarry owned by G McCann. The directions given hints at the quarry being one of those at Whitman's Hill. Lamb.
12th September 1861 Malvern Wells to Shelwick Junction inspected by Col Yolland. Single line throughout with sidings at the various stations at Colwall, Ledbury, Leominster Road, Stoke Edith and Withington also at Shelwick Junction. Land purchased and bridges constructed for double line. Tunnels constructed for single line only. No level crossings of public roads. One temporary building at each station.
Authority to open was subject to certain undertakings being first given regarding working arrangements and precautions through tunnels.
Worked by Train Staff and Ticket system.
View Inspection Report
Note: status of Stoke Edith crossing needs investigating.
TNA
MT6/24/12.
13th September 1861 Malvern Wells to Shelwick Junction opened 13th September without authority from BoT.
View BoT Report
Note - Quick gives 13th September as the opening date of Ledbury, Ashperton, Stoke Edith and Withington stations, citing report in the Hereford Times of 14th September.
Note: IRS quote 13th September as opening day for the Malvern Wells to Ledbury section and 19th June 1861 for the Ledbury to Shelwick section.
BoT(1)
14th September 1861 Report in Malvern Advertiser that an announcement had been made about the opening of the line. Dray.
14th September 1861 Public notice in Hereford Times that on and after 16th September the line would be open from conveyance of passenger and mineral traffic.
Simpson also states that the new line was worked by the Great Western Railway.
Simpson.
15th September 1861 Malvern Wells to Shelwick Junction opened.
Temporary wooden station buildings at Colwall.
Gale.
Simpson.
19th September 1861 West Midland Railway Board meet at The Link Hotel, Malvern. TNA
Rail 734/1.
19th September 1861 West Midland Railway Board agreed to work the Tewksbury & Malvern Railway from the junction at Malvern to their Malvern Wells station for 60% of the gross receipts. TNA
Rail 734/1.
19th September 1861 West Midland Railway Board agreed to defer consideration of the tenders submitted for the erection of Great Malvern station. TNA
Rail 734/1.
19th September 1861 West Midland Railway Board resolved that the system of working the line from Malvern Wells to Shelwick Junction be worked by Staff and Ticket and that the necessary undertaking that the line will be so worked be given to the Board of Trade. Also that the telegraph be laid along the line as early as possible. TNA
Rail 734/1.
17th October 1861 West Midland Railway Board considered a letter from Mr Liddell concerning a short length of Malvern Tunnel that had been left unbricked and was showing signs of giving way. The section was one of this affected by power blasting. Ordered that a report should be made to the Board by Mr Wilson. TNA
Rail 734/1.
17th October 1861 West Midland Railway Board agreed to accept the tender of £5,450 for construction of the station at Malvern be accepted and that the works be proceeded with without delay.
Note: Great Malvern station.
TNA
Rail 734/1.
17th October 1861 West Midland Railway Board directed Mr Wilson to discuss conveyance of water from Malvern Tunnel to Great Malvern with Mr Elmslie. TNA
Rail 734/1.
20th November 1861 Undertaking given by West Midland Railway to BoT confirming operation between Malvern Wells and Shelwick Junction would be by Train Staff and Ticket, and that telegraph instruments devoted to the working through the tunnels would be placed at the stations either side of the tunnels.
View BoT Report
BoT(1)
29th November 1861 West Midland Railway Board noted an agreement reached by Mr Sherriff that traffic from West Midland stations south of Hereford to London & North Western stations south of Bletchley would be routed via Hereford, Worcester and Yarnton Junction. TNA
Rail 734/1.
29th November 1861 West Midland Railway Board resolved that a new copy of the Bye Laws and Rules and Regulations approved by the Board of Trade be adopted. TNA
Rail 734/1.
29th November 1861 West Midland Railway Board resolved that Mr Whithorne, the present Clerk of Works at Malvern Link station be appointed to the same office for Malvern station. TNA
Rail 734/1.
4th December 1861 Formal authority given for opening Malvern Wells to Shelwick Junction.
View BoT Report
BoT(1)
19th December 1861 West Midland Railway Board resolved that as a proposal to amalgamate with the South Wales Railway had been delayed they would prepare a Bill for the 1863 Parliamentary session based on the Heads of Agreement already reached with a view to amalgamation by 1st January 1864. TNA
Rail 734/1.
1861 Permanent buildings at Great Malvern station replaced temporary wooden ones.
Note: Dray says 1863 (page 10) and 1862 (page 23). Clark says 'ready 1863'. Smith2 says designed in 1861. Parissien says 1862.
Simpson.
c1861 Picture published of Malvern Link station attributed to circa 1861 showing the permanent station buildings and, seemingly, a 'station signal' on the up platform.
View Malvern Gazette Report
Malvern Gazette (24/7/2009)
1861 Horse omnibus service commenced from Great Malvern station to Belle Vue Terrace to connect with trains. Davis.
1861 Malvern Link Hotel opened. Cost £6,000. Hembry.
17th April 1862 West Midland Railway Board ordered that the repairs to a failed bridge near Bransford station should be charged to the Capital account. TNA
Rail 734/1.
17th April 1862 West Midland Railway Board considered a memorial from the inhabitants of Colwall asking for midday trains to stop at Colwall, Ashperton & Stoke Edith. A similar request came from Stoke Edith asking for more trains to stop there. Resolved to decline the requests. TNA
Rail 734/1.
14th May 1862 West Midland Railway Board meet at The Link Hotel, Malvern. TNA
Rail 734/1.
14th May 1862 West Midland Railway Board ordered that the road approaches to stations be repaired and the cost charged to Capital. TNA
Rail 734/1.
14th May 1862 West Midland Railway Board ordered that an account from Mr Graham for "seanting slopes" at Malvern station be paid. TNA
Rail 734/1.
26th June 1862 West Midland Railway Board considered a letter from Mr Hornyold's Land Agent seeking assurance that Malvern Wells station would be opened as soon as possible. The Board resolved to acknowledge receipt of the letter. TNA
Rail 734/1.
26th June 1862 West Midland Railway Board ordered that £300 be paid to Mr Perkins on account of the construction of bridge at Great Malvern station as requested by certificate from Mr Elmsly. TNA
Rail 734/1.
26th June 1862 West Midland Railway Board ratified the lease for the laying of pipes along the railway from Malvern Link Gas Works. TNA
Rail 734/1.
17th July 1862 Royal assent given to West Midland Railway Act 1862. Reference in it of mortgages &c relating to Worcester & Hereford Railway.
View Act
Act of Parliament.
31st July 1862 West Midland Railway Board meet at Great Malvern. TNA
Rail 734/1.
11th August 1862 Imperial Hotel opened.
View Report and illustration from Illustrated London News of Friday 22nd August.
Hembry.
22nd August 1862 West Midland Railway Board meet at Great Malvern. TNA
Rail 734/1.
22nd August 1862 West Midland Railway Board considered a report from Mr Sherriff that passenger trains were being delayed daily in consequence of the shortness of the platforms. Ordered that a report be made stating which stations must require additional length of platform. TNA
Rail 734/1.
22nd August 1862 West Midland Railway Board considered a further approach from Mr Hornyold regarding re-erection of Malvern Wells station and left it to Mr Sherriff to treat the matter as may appear to be necessary. TNA
Rail 734/1.
September 1862 Collapse of one of the Colwall Tunnel shafts. Tunnel closed for four days. Wood.
c1863 First design of GWR interlocking lever frame introduced, designed by Michael Lane. One was installed at Malvern Wells, date not quoted. Vaughan.
13th July 1863 Royal assent given to West Midland Railway Act 1863 authorising the raising of additional capital. Act of Parliament.
13th July 1863 Royal assent given to Great Western Railway (West Midland Amalgamation) Act 1863 authorising the amalgamation of the Great Western and West Midland Railway Companies under the name of the Great Western Railway.
Confimed running powers for Midland Railway from Worcester to South Wales and that Midland Railway could have their own carting agents at stations.
Running powers not allowed until lines doubled (except tunnels) which was required to happen within 5 years.
View Act
Need a copy of the Act with a date of Royal assent included.
Act of Parliament.
Gale (date).
Warren (date).
21st July 1863 Royal assent given to Great Western Railway (South Wales Amalgamation) Act 1863 authorising the amalgamation of the Great Western, West Midland and South Wales Railway Companies under the name of the Great Western Railway.
View Act
Note - Gale and Warren give date as 13th July.
Act of Parliament.

Great Western Railway

Date Event Source
1st August 1863 Great Western Railway (South Wales Amalgamation) Act 1863 implemented.
Great Western Railway (West Midland Amalgamation) Act 1863 implemented.
Acts of Parliament.
Warren.
1st February 1864 Malvern Wells station (GW) reopened. Quick.
5th July 1865 Royal assent given to Great Western Railway (Additional Powers) Act 1865 including authorising purchase of lands either side of the line north of Malvern Wells station.
View Act
Deposited plans to check.
Act of Parliament.
1865 Great Western Railway rule book reminds Railway Policemen to ensure that when their main signal is showing 'danger' their distant signal is also showing 'danger'.
Note: interlocking probably only between points and 'home' signals at this time.
Vaughan
c1865 ? Colwall Tunnel closed for a period due to fault in ventilation shaft. Simpson.
5th March 1866 GWR Police Department, detail of Constables. Collar number 623 James Grant. Beat: Malvern Wells signal cabin with all signals and switches working from the cabin and the telegraph instruments. To be relieved by the night switchman at 7pm and work alternate weeks 7 till 7 days and nights. To change from day to night duty at 1pm Sunday. Relief to be provided for this. (original in TNA). Vaughan.
30th July 1866 Royal assent given to Great Western Railway (Further Powers) Act 1866 including an agreement dated 20th April 1866 whereby the Commoners were to receive rent for the sections of the Malvern and Link Commons traversed by the railway.
View Act
Act of Parliament.
9th July 1868 Second line of rails between Malvern Wells to Shelwick Junction inspected by Col Rich. Passing loops to be taken out when second line opens. Two signals (Ashperton & Withington) to be altered. Undertakings in respect of the working through the tunnels required before opening; these were given on 23rd July.
View Inspection Report and correspondence.
Note: the file also contains considerable correspondence regarding a bridge in south Wales and discussion on provision of assisting engines. The latter concluded with agreement that assisting engines on passenger trains would be coupled at the front but may be attached at the back of goods trains. This correspondence lasted until 10th October 1868.
BoT (TNA MT6/53/12)
1st August 1870 Royal assent given to Great Western Railway Act 1870 which included the power to sell surplus land at Powick, Great Malvern, Colwall, Ledbury, Ashperton and Withington.
View Act
Act of Parliament.
1871 T R Franklin appointed Stationmaster at Great Malvern, remaining in post for 38 years.
View Report
Malvern Gazette (14/05/2010).
by 1873 Bransford Road signal box opened. SRS GW Register.
1873 A Stourbridge firm offered 100 tons of canal coal to the Gas Committee, delivered to Malvern Link station at 25s per ton. Hembry.
1873 Malvern Link Hotel offered for sale with four acres of land at a price of £5,000. Hembry.
13th December 1873 Collision at Malvern Link.  
by 1875 Malvern & Tewksbury Junction signal box opened. SRS GW Register.
21st February 1877 Malvern Wells Sidings signal box opened.
Malvern Junction Sidings opened.
SRS MR Register.
Cooke (supp 4), Gough.
1877 Lady Foley extracted a promise from the Great Western Railway's Chairman to stop excursion trains to Malvern. Hembry.
6th August 1880 Royal assent given to Great Western Railway Act 1880 including authorising the sale of superfluous lands in the parish of Great Malvern.
View Act
Act of Parliament.
by 1881 Signal box opened at Bromyard Junction in vee of junction.
Signal box opened at Great Malvern.
Signal box opened at Malvern Tunnel Junction.
Signal box opened at Cummings Crossing.
SRS GW Register.
1882 Lever frame in Malvern Wells signal box extended. (Box is McKenzie & Holland type MK1 cabin). SRS GW Register.
c 1882 Malvern Link Gas Co Ltd opened their gas works at Newland. IRS.
1883 Jenny Lind made her last public appearance, at the newly opened Assembly Hall near the Wyche, in aid of the Railway Servants Benevolent Fund. Smith2.
10th March 1889 Bromyard Junction signal box replaced by type 5 cabin. SRS GW Register.
1889 Malvern Link Hotel becomes a boy's preparatory school. Hembry.
13th September 1892 Reading S&T Pattern Shop ordered moulds for “Gas Siding Ground Frame” nameplate. Dunn.
c November 1892 Cummings Crossing signal box replaced. SRS GW Register.
1892 (?) Imperial Hotel taken over by Malvern Girls' College. Hembry.
c 1897 Bromyard Junction renamed Leominster Junction. SRS GW Register.
15th September 1897 Reading S&T Pattern Shop ordered moulds for 2 “Leominster Junction Signal Box” nameplates. Dunn.
c 1897 Malvern Urban District Council took over operation of Malvern Link Gas Works. IRS.
11th November 1897 Reading S&T Pattern Shop ordered moulds for “Bransford Road Signal Box” and “Malvern Link Signal Box” and “Stocks Lane Crossing Signal Box” nameplates. Dunn.
14th May 1899 Colwall signal box replaced by brick cabin of type unknown. SRS GW Register.
6th June 1899 Reading S&T Pattern Shop ordered moulds for “Colwall Signal Box” nameplate. Dunn.
c April 1900 Stocks Lane Crossing signal box replaced by type 7A cabin. SRS GW Register.
25th May 1900 Reading S&T Pattern Shop ordered moulds for “Malvern & Tewksbury Junction Signal Box” and “Malvern Tunnel Junction Signal Box” and “Malvern Wells Signal Box” nameplates plus 2 for “Great Malvern Signal Box”. Dunn.
February 1901 Up Loop provided between Colwall Tunnel and Malvern Wells. Cooke.
April 1901 Down Loop provided at Malvern Wells. Cooke.
June 1901 Worcester end crossover at Malvern Wells moved. Inspected and passed by Col Von Donop, Board of Trade, 15th October 1901.
View Inspection Report.
TNA
MT6/1049/8.
1901 Sidings provided for Malvern Link Gas Works and Gas Works Siding signal box opened, type 28 cabin, 17 levers. SRS GW Register.
TNA
MT6/1142/6.
10 June 1901 Reading S&T Pattern Shop ordered moulds for “Malvern Link Gas Works Siding Signal Box” nameplate. Dunn.
c June 1901 Malvern Link signal box replaced. SRS GW Register.
23rd January 1902 Malvern Wells engine shed (GW) replaced. Clark.
19th November 1903 Henry John Gunter appointed Midland Railway Agent and Booking Clerk at Great Malvern. Ancestry.
28th May 1905 Malvern & Tewksbury Junction signal box replaced by type 7B cabin on up side of line. SRS GW Register.
4th August 1905 Royal assent given to Great Western Railway (General Powers) Act 1905 including authorising changes in the level of the road leading from Colwall Green to Colwall Stone (Colwall Green Road) affecting access to Walwyn Free School and Brockbury Hall.
View Act
Act of Parliament.
1905 Great Malvern up side loading bank extended at a cost of £50. Clark.
8th November 1907 Colwall Tunnel closed for a period due to roof fall. Alternative bus service provided.
Brakes supplied by Wooyatts and Warner. GWR buses arrived the following day (Saturday) and into service on the Monday running between Malvern Wells and Colwall assisted by two of Woodyatt's vehicles. Average on 9 journeys each way per day between 0800 and 2200 taking about half an hour each. Tunnel reopened after about a week.
Note: Malvern Gazette for 23 November 2007 carried an account of a charabanc engaged on these duties wakening the town of Great Malvern at 17 minutes past 12 midnight precisely.
View Malvern Gazette Report
Simpson.

Davis.
1908 ASLEF took up complaint by Midland Railway goods train footplatemen about poor ventilation in Colwall Tunnel.  
1908 Midland Railway staff at Great Malvern recorded as: Agent & Booking Clerk; Booking Clerk; Assistant Porter; Parcels Porter & Porter Guard; Parcels Vanman; Parcels Vanboy. Waite.
16th August 1909 Royal assent given to Great Western Railway (General Powers) Act 1909 including authorising reconstruction of the Worcester Road bridge at Malvern Link.
View Act
Picture published by the Malvern Gazette in 1914 shows the main road through Malvern Link to still be narrow.
Act of Parliament.


Malvern Museum (1).
December 1909 Derailment at Great Malvern station up siding.
View Malvern Gazette Report
Dray,
Malvern Gazette (18/12/2009).
1910 Notice in London Gazette proposing introduction of trackless trams (trolley buses). Much opposition locally.
Need to check the London Gazette for full details.
Davis.
1911 Bransford Road signal box replaced by type 7D cabin located on down side of line. SRS GW Register.
March 1912 Coal strike caused reduction in passenger and goods services.
View Malvern Gazette Report
Malvern Gazette (23/5/2012).
May 1913 Malvern Wells (GW) turntable removed. Clark.
November 1913 Double line extended from 130m40c to 130m45c at Malvern Wells. Cooke.
30th November 1913 Malvern Link signal box replaced by type 27C cabin. SRS GW Register.
1913 Henry John Gunter, Midland Railway Agent and Booking Clerk at Great Malvern, retired. Ancestry.
15th February 1914 Malvern Tunnel Junction signal box replaced by type 7D cabin. SRS GW Register.
1914 Great Malvern: ramped entrance to down platform built. Clark.
5th August 1914 Government took control of Great Western Railway and Midland Railway (from midnight 4th-5th August) using powers contained in the Regulation of Forces Act 1871. Warren.
15th November 1914 Great Malvern signal box replaced by type 7D cabin. SRS GW Register.
1914 Hospital trains from Birmingham arrive in Malvern. Malvern Museum (1).
1st July 1915 Midland Railway commercial functions at Great Malvern taken over by Great Western Railway. Ticket office activity concentrated in the GWR office including transfer of telephones and telegraph instruments. One national telephne dispensed with. Midland Railway staff removed: Agent F.Porter, Clerk G.E.Houghton, and Junior Porter H.C.Wingfield. Separate Parcels Delivery agents not altered. Waite.
1st July 1915 Midland Railway cartage functions at Malvern Link taken over by Great Western Railway. Waite.
12th July 1915 Drawings signed off for reconstruction of subway at 129m70c on Malvern Wells Common. Yates.
22nd October 1915 Private Ernest Woolley, formerly Porter at Great Malvern, wrote regarding a writing pad sent to him and which saved his life. Malvern Museum (2).
1915 Vera George, living in Malvern Link, became the Great Western Railway's first female ticket collector. She was based in Malvern. Malvern Museum (2).
1st January 1917 Midland Railway passenger service from Birmingham to Malvern via Worcester Foregate Street withdrawn. Waite.
29th November 1919 Malvern Wells signal box replaced by type 7D cabin located down side, Hereford end of station. SRS GW Register,
Cooke.
16th August 1921 Government control of Great Western Railway and Midland Railway relinquished from midnight 15th-16th August. Warren.
19th August 1921 Royal assent given to Railways Act 1921 which ordered the grouping of principle railway companies into four Groups.
View Act
Act of Parliament.
1922 Malvern Wells (GW) Engine shed closed. Cooke.
1922 Station Master appointed at Malvern Wells was Mr Higgs. Also responsible for Colwall. Malvern Voices (1)(2).
18th July 1923 Royal assent given to Great Western Railway (Additional Powers) Act 1923 authorising construction of the second Colwall tunnel and associated line realignments.
Note: Colwall station and footbridge are at 131m72c. This gives the authorised length of new railway as running from 130m33c to 131m64c or thereabouts. The subway is at 130m36c.
View Act
Act of Parliament.
1924 Work commenced on constructing second Colwall Tunnel. GWM.
by 1925 Malvern Link additional down dock and siding provided behind down platform. Cooke.
July 1925 Headings of new tunnel met in middle. GWM.
1st December 1925 Local bus services start looping past Great Malvern station entrance rather than just up and down Avenue Road. Davis.
1926 Colwall station and goods yard remodelled as part of works for new tunnel. GWM.
18th July 1926 Colwall signal box replaced by type 7D cabin located at Worcester end of down platform. SRS GW Register.
2nd August 1926 Second Colwall Tunnel opened and traffic transferred from old tunnel. Old tunnel remained in situ.
Double line end shortened back to 130m41c at Malvern Wells.
Proposal to use both tunnels abandoned?
Cooke.
4th November 1926 The railway company now undertakes delivery in West Malvern along the main road as far as St James' Vicarage subject to a cartage surcharge of 1s8d per ton, minimum 3d. GWR Goods Circular R 1534/207.
1928 Great Malvern up side canopy partially reconstructed. Clark.
1929 Stocks Lane signal box renamed Newland. Probably on opening of the halt. SRS GW Register.
18th March 1929 Newland Halt opened (referred to as Stocks Lane pre-opening). Quick.
19th March 1929 Reading S&T Pattern Shop ordered moulds for “Newland Signal Box” nameplate on 19th March. Dunn.
August 1929 2140 Birmingham to Newport over ran signals at Ledbury North End, fortunately without disastrous results. Signalling Record 167.
September 1929 Instructions for Signalling Trains during Fog or Falling Snow states that the distant signals at Worcester Foregate Street (down only), Malvern Gas Works Sidings (both) and Ledbury North End (down only) are not fogsignalled.
It also stated that the following stop signals will be fogsignalled: Malvern link Down Home, Colwall Up Home, Ledbury N E Tunnel Down Home, Ledbury Station Up Main Home and Down Branch Home. In the case of Lebury Station, they would only be fogsignalled when passenger trains are running.
GWR Booklet.
22nd September 1930 LMSR timetable indexed Malvern Wells GW station as Malvern Wales. Quick.
1935 First use of diesel railcar in the area with a service from Hereford to Oxford. Smith1.
1936 Donald Wilden appointed Station Master, Malvern Wells. Putley.
1937 Malvern Link Up Bay Platform converted to siding. Cooke.
1939 Bransford Road signal box closed.
Note Cooke quotes 4th November 1956 and shows Up Loop accessed by ground frames.
SRS GW Register.
24th August 1939 Royal assent given to Emergency Powers (Defence) Act 1939 which authorised under regulation 69 Government taking control of railways subject to ministerial order. Warren.
1st September 1939 Ministerial order 1197 brought railways under Government control.
(Note - this remained in force until 31st December 1947).
Warren.
Autumn 1939 Repairs to Colwall (old) Tunnel commenced. Concrete barracks erected on down side by Colwall station for the soldiers guarding the tunnel. Barracks converted to bungalows after the war. Boynton.
c 1941-1945 Colwall (old) Tunnel (Old Colwall Naval Armaments Store) used as munitions store under control of HMS Duke, St Andrews Road, Malvern. (Naval training establishment). Sailors from HMS Duke guarded the store and were billeted in a camp at Malvern Wells (GW) station. Narrow gauge railway (18 inch) installed in the tunnel. Boynton,
Malvern Voices (2 page 41).
26th March 1943 Great Malvern: Great Western Railway took over running of refreshment rooms on expiry of F W Hughes & Co agreement.
Would Malvern Link have been involved as well?
Clark.
1943 Newland signal box renamed Newland East.
Gas Works Siding signal box provided with new lever frame (larger) and renamed Newland West.
SRS GW Register.
18th June 1943 Newland (East) Up Refuge Siding closed and replaced by Newland Up Loop and Marshalling Yard. Cooke,
IRS.
c 1943-1944 Malvern Wells Hospital Platform installed in Goods Yard. Cooke (Supp 4).
1945 John Lisseman transferred to Porter at Malvern Link.
20th November 1946 Malvern Wells: connection to engine shed taken out of use. Signal H93.
19th March 1947 Malvern & Tewksbury Junction down main to down goods running loop home signal taken out of use. Signal H39.
6th August 1947 Royal assent given to Transport Act 1947 which authorised creation of the British Transport Commission and nationalisation of the railways.
View Act
Act of Parliament.

British Railways

Date Event Source
1st January 1948 Great Western Railway became British Railways Western Region. Warren.
25th September 1950 Leominster Junction renamed Bransford Road Junction. SRS GW Register.
1950 Donald Wilden, Station Master, Malvern Wells retired. Putley.
1st June 1954 Bristol Omnibus Company services extended from Link Top to terminate in Malvern Link station yard. Davis.
25th April 1954 Cummings Crossing signal box closed. SRS GW Register.
September 1954 Newland Marshalling Sidings converted to CCE Pre-assembly depot.
Note: CCE = Chief Civil Engineer.
IRS,
Boynton.
14th November 1954 Rump of line to Tewksbury and Malvern Sidings accessed by extension of Malvern Wells Down Loop towards Worcester and former up line from Tewksbury connected into it. Cooke,
Signal W1025.
14th November 1954 Malvern & Tewksbury Junction signal box closed.
Malvern Tunnel Junction signal box closed.
Temporary padlocked ground lever controlling access to coal sidings replaced by new Malvern New Sidings Ground Frame, 1 lever released electrically from Malvern Wells.
Up & Down Goods Running Loops redesignated Goods Loops.
Malvern Wells signal box now open continuously.
SRS GW Register,
Signal W1028.
21st October 1956 Great Malvern: siding connection to Malvern Girls College taken out of use. Cooke.
1st August 1962 Royal assent given to Transport Act 1962 which authorised creation of the British Railways Board, replacing the British Transport Commission in respect of railways.
View Act
Act of Parliament.
1st January 1963 General withdrawal of livestock facilities across the BR network. Livestock no longer handled at Malvern Link, Malvern Wells (GW) or Colwall. RCH Handbook amendment L17.
January 1964 Malvern Link up Yard taken out of use.
Great Malvern Down Back Siding (carriage landing) taken out of use.
Cooke.
Clark.
24th February 1964 Bransford Road Up Loop and south and north ground frames taken out of use. Cooke.
May 1964 Colwall Up Sidings reduced in size. Cooke.
1st June 1964 Malvern Wells Goods sidings taken out of use. Cooke,
Clark.
3rd July 1964 Newland West signal box closed.

Newland Loop access closed at west end.
Newland Gas Works Sidings closed.
Note: IRS quote late 1960s for closure of the gas works.
SRS GW Register.
Cooke.
Boynton.
15th August 1964 Newland Up Loop reduced to Up Refuge Siding accessed at Newland East End and by trailing crossover at west end. Cooke.
18th October 1964 Bromyard Junction signal box closed. SRS GW Register.
January - June 1965 Great Malvern: End loading dock, down side being recovered as and when staff available.
Malvern Link: The two back sidings, up side being recovered as and when staff available
K2/1/65 repeated weekly to K2/21/65.
14th March 1965 Great Malvern signal box taken out of use together with all associated signalling.
AWS ramp for Malvern Wells Down Distant repositioned 440 yards in rear of signal.
Block Section becomes Malvern Link - Malvern Wells.
K2/10/65.
21st March 1965 Malvern Wells Up Distant signal renewed in the same position as a 2-aspect colour light, 12' in height. K2/11/65.
5th April 1965 Bransford Road station closed.
Newland Halt closed.
Malvern Wells station (GW) closed.
Quick.
10th April 1965 Worcester Road bridge at Malvern Link closed completely for the day towards the end of the bridge rebuiding work and restricted to light traffic only for a few days afterward. Bus services diverted. Davis.
11th August 1965 Trailing connection to Colwall Up Sidings closed. Cooke.
14th October 1965 Malvern Link: The following connections spiked, clipped and padlocked out of use pending recovery: Mains crossover with slip to down sidings. Up Main to Up Sidings opposite signal box. Down Main to Down Sidings. All associated discs will be recovered. K2/34/65.
14th November 1965 Malvern Link Down Sidings taken out of use. Cooke.
21st December 1965 Malvern Link signal box and all associated signalling taken out of use. Trailing connections, Up Main to Up Sidings furthest from the signal box and the Down Main from Down Siding Malvern Wells side of the signal box will be spiked, clipped and padlocked and retained for the Engineer's use. All remaining connections spiked, clipped and padlocked out of use (set for main line) pending recovery.
The Up Main Distant lower arm signal for Newland East will be moved to the top of the post and the associated AWS ramp repositioned 440 yards to the rear of the signal.
Block Section becomes Newland East - Malvern Wells.

Malvern Link Up siding (former bay platform) taken out of use.
K2/47/65.










Cooke.
1966 Malvern Wells station buildings demolished. Dray.
23rd May 1966 Malvern Wells Up Loop reduced to siding accessed from Malvern Wells end. Cooke.
July 1966 Malvern Wells down distant signal renewed as colour light, 277 yards further from signal box. K2/28/66.
October 1966 Newland East Up Refuge Siding deleted from Appendix. Instruction added under title of Engineering Department Pre-Assembly Yard (Up Sidings): No train must be allowed to enter the sidings without the permission of the Engineering Department; the sidings must not be used for refuge purposes. K2/38/66.
October 1966 Newland East Up Refuge Siding renamed Up Siding. Both connections leading to the Holding Siding and associated slip connections to the Up Sidings disconnected from the signal box and converted to hand points. Relevant disc signals recovered. Former Up Refuge Siding Home bracket signal and stop lamp in the Holding Siding recored. Up Refuge Siding Starting Bracket Signal rnewed as a disc signal, fitted with a yellow arm and light. K2/40/66 'has been'.
1st April 1967 Colwall Down Siding taken out of use together with remaining Up Sidings. Cooke.
August 1967 Malvern Wells: the Main Line trailing crossover on the Hereford side of the signal box has been spiked, clipped and padlocked out of use pending recovery.
The catch point situated in the Up Refuge Siding has been spiked, clipped and padlocked out of use pending recovery.
Associated disc signals have been recovered.
The straight post signal situated in the Up Refuge Sidings (former Up Loop Home Signal) has been taken out of use.
K2/33/67 'has been'.
1st October 1967 Ledbury North End and Colwall signal boxes closed [K2/37/67 'has been'].

Line singled Colwall to Ledbury Tunnel using up line.
SRS GW Register.
Cooke.
3rd - 15th November 1967 Colwall Tunnel closed due to earth fall. Cooke.
26th November 1967 Double line shortened to 130m18c at Malvern Wells. Cooke.
10th December 1967 Work programmed to slew the new single line into the former Up Main line at 133m22c between Colwall & Ledbury. Postponed until 14 January 1968. Posponed again to 4 February 1968. K2/1/68 'has been'.
K2/3/68.
1968 Retirement of Porter Kath Thomas from Malvern Link. Awarded OBE for services as a foster mother. Malvern Voices (2).
12th September 1969 Great Malvern main station building given Grade II listed status by Historic England.
View List Entry   View Location Map  
Historic England.
early 1970s British Rail allowed a team of volunteers to repaint the ornamented cast iron canopy support columns at Great Malvern. Clark.
September – October 1971 Malvern Link station buildings demolished and replaced by wooden huts. Dray.
13th December 1974 Newland East Crossing gates replaced by full lifting barriers. Cooke.
11th May 1979 Great Malvern station forecourt walls and piers given Grade II listed status by Historic England.
View List Entry   View Location Map  
Historic England.
11th May 1979 Avenue Road bridge given Grade II listed status by Historic England.
View List Entry   View Location Map  
Historic England.
November 1982 Newland pre-assembly depot closed. IRS,
Boynton.
1st May 1984 First working of HST through Malvern. Dray.
19th September 1984 Bridge Cottage, Walwyn Road, Colwall listed grade II. Building is distinguished by having suffered removal of one corner c1860 when the railway was built. Historic England.
August 1985 Lady Foley's Tea Room opened.  
11th April 1986 Fire at Great Malvern station badly damaged main station building, destroying the main entrance area and the Tea Room.
View Malvern Gazette reports (re-published 2011).
Simpson,
Dray.
20th May 1988 Great Malvern station building reopened after restoration. Ticket office relocated to former telegraph office and gap between main building and lavatory block covered over to create new booking hall. Dray.
14th February 1989 Lady Foley's Team room reopened in Lady Foley’s former private waiting room having been in a portakabin since the fire. Dray.
5th November 1993 Royal assent given to Railways Act 1993 which authorised creation of Railtrack Plc as owner of the national railway infrastructure.
View Act
Act of Parliament.

Railtrack / British Railways

Date Event Source
1st April 1994 Ownership of British Railways infrastructure (stations, track, bridges &c) transferred to Railtrack Plc. Deaves.
16th December 1994 Great Western Train Co Ltd took over running of InterCity services between Paddington, Oxford and Hereford replacing British Rail InterCity. Deaves.

Railtrack / Central Trains

Date Event Source
12th November 1995 Central Trains Ltd took over running of Great Malvern and Malvern Link stations from British Railways as part of a franchise operation replacing Regional Railways Central. Became principal provider of the local train service along the Worcester and Hereford Railway. Deaves.
10th December 1995 Thames Trains Ltd took over running of non InterCity services between Paddington, Oxford and Hereford replacing British Rail Network SouthEast. Deaves.
4th February 1996 Great Western Train Co Ltd became part of Great Western Holdings Ltd. Deaves.
5th January 1997 Thames Trains Ltd became part of Victory Railway Holdings Ltd. Deaves.
2nd March 1997 Central Trains Ltd became part of the National Express Group Plc. Deaves.
7th October 2001 Railtrack Plc placed in Railway Administration. Deaves.
3rd October 2002 Railtrack Plc taken out of Railway Administration. Deaves.

Network Rail / Central Trains

Date Event Source
3rd February 2003 Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd replaced Railtrack Plc. Deaves.
26th March 2004 First Great Western Link took over running of non InterCity services between Paddington, Oxford and Hereford replacing Thames Trains Ltd. Deaves.
6th October 2004 Thames Trains Ltd licence revoked. Deaves.
1st April 2006 First Greater Western Limited took over running of all services between Paddington, Oxford and Hereford replacing Great Western Train Co Ltd. Deaves.
30th August 2006 Great Western Holdings Ltd and First Great Western Link licences both revoked. Deaves.
2007 Walwyn Road (B4218) over bridge at Colwall declared unsafe and closed to road traffic. Bridge said to date from 1892.
What was there before then? 6 inch OS map surveyed in 1886 shows a bridge in existence.
Malvern Gazette (24/8/2007).

Network Rail / London Midland

Date Event Source
7th November 2007 London and Birmingham Railway Ltd (trading as London Midland) took over running of Great Malvern and Malvern Link stations from Central Trains as part of a new franchise operation. Became principal provider of the local train service along the Worcester and Hereford Railway.. Deaves.
8th January 2008 Central Trains Ltd licence revoked. Deaves.
30th April 2008 Derailment outside signal box at Malvern Wells when tamping machine driver attempted to enter sidings without the signal box being open – points concerned controlled by signalman.
1st September 2014 Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd classified as a “government body”. Deaves.
1st July 2015 Secretary of State for Transport became sole “member” of Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd completing transfer to direct government control.
July 2015 Malvern Link station rebuilding recognised by an award from the Malvern Civic Society.
View Malvern Gazette Report published on 17th July.
Malvern Gazette (17/07/2015).
July 2015 Great Malvern station awarded certificate of excellence by TripAdvisor.
View Malvern Gazette Report published on 31st July.
Malvern Gazette (31/07/2015).
28th July 2015 Pedestrian Walkway (“Worm”) and Goods Entrance Tunnel given Grade II listed status by Historic England.
View List Entry   Report   Location Map.
View Malvern Gazette Report published on 14th August.
Historic England.
July - August 2015 Scaffolding erected around Malvern Wells signal box for the purpose of carrying out roof repairs. Putley.
14th August 2015 Malvern Gazette published letter seeking date when Great Malvern clock tower was demolished. Malvern Gazette (14/08/2015).
22nd September 2015 Great Malvern main station building listing (1969) expanded by Historic England to encompass the down side platform (platform 2) as well.
View List Entry   View Location Map  
Historic England.
13th April 2016 Malvern Observer published details of the Clock Tower Appeal.
View Item
Malvern Observer.
July-August 2016 Changes made to track and signalling at Malvern Wells.
View Publicity Leaflet
London Midland.